Its that time of year to pack up the car and go visit friends and family. Of course you want to arrive there safe and happily so you don't have to make an auto insurance claim. Here are some tips to be sure that your trip is safe, secure and as stress-free as possible:
- Review your Auto Insurance: Its the end of the year and a good time to review your auto insurance policy. Maybe, even request a new auto insurance quote from your company. Contact your auto insurance company and review your policy to be sure that you have all the right coverage. You will need liability, but also coverage to cover any injuries you or your family could incur on a trip. Be sure that there are no stipulations that could hinder your travel. If there are, perhaps request new auto insurance quotes from other companies.
- Does Your Auto Insurance Cover Road-Side Assistance? Just imagine being caught by the side of the road with a flat tire and a snow storm on the horizon. See if your auto insurance company covers road side assistance, and if not, look into getting additional coverage from AAA or some other company.
- Get plenty games and snacks for the kids: There are lots of ways to keep kids occupied these days, most of them electronic. Mix it up with some coloring books, travel games or new toys. Also, be sure to pack a bevy of snacks so you don't have to stop often. And if you do have lots of electronics, remember to pack some extra batteries or chargers.
- Make a winter preparedness kit: Put some extra blankets and winter clothes in the car. You can pick some up at the local thrift store. Also have a winter radio with batteries, a small can and candle for heat, and some granola for snacks. Flares are also good, as are a shovel, salt and bottled water.
- Be Patient: Perhaps the best advice is to be patient. The holidays are stressful enough without having to rush rush rush. So, take your time, drive slow, and enjoy the trip as much as the destination. Its better to get there alive than quickly.