Save on Car Insurance with Companies You Trust

Please provide a valid zip code.


Car Insurance Options For Exchange Students

Hosting a foreign exchange in your home can be an exciting and rewarding experience for a family. This mixing of cultures and personalities is an educational experience that many families find life-changing. However, there are certain rules and regulations that must be followed by both the students and the host families. Most foreign exchange programs include a restriction on the students' driving while they are in the United States. Each organization that runs a foreign exchange program typically has a list of regulations that the students must follow. It is important to check the regulations in order to become perfectly clear on the regulations regarding driving. If it is not all together prohibited for the student to drive, then there are several options for obtaining insurance for your exchange student so that he or she may legally drive while they are in the United States.

The first thing is to ascertain whether or not the student has an international driver's license. This is the easiest way to qualify for a car insurance policy. If your student does not have a license, they must follow your particular state's requirements for obtaining a license. Depending on the age of the student and the requirements of your state, the process could take some time, so it is recommended that a student who is planning to drive in the United States obtain an international driver's license before leaving their home country.

Calling your agent to get a car insurance quote is the next step. It is going to be far cheaper to add your exchange student to your existing policy than to get a separate policy for them. If they plan to drive the family car while they are living in your home, adding them to the policy is the preferred course of action. Just realize that there will be an expensive price difference for an international exchange student than for a regular driver. To avoid any type of confusion, remember that international car insurance is not the same as getting car insurance for a foreign exchange student. International car insurance is usually for an insured driver who is travelling out of the country and will be renting a car. This type of insurance will not cover a driver who is from another country and is driving in the United States.

In conclusion, one must be sure that their foreign exchange student is allowed by their agency to drive while in the United States. Secondly, make sure your student has an international driver's license, or assist them on getting licensed in your state. Protecting yourself as well as your student is imperative.

Car Insurance by State

Please provide a valid zip code.